About Upward Bound
The Upward Bound (UB) Program is funded through the U.S. Department of Education. Since June 1, 1974, the program has been housed downtown at the Houston Community College Central Campus. The Upward Bound program recruits H.I.S.D. students from the 9th and 10th grades in order to aid and encourage them to successfully complete high school, enroll in a post-secondary institution and graduate from that institution. For forty plus years, the Upward Bound program has been providing services to low-income students who will be the first generation in their families to go to college. The program serves 131 students per year and over 80% of Upward Bound students have successfully completed high school and enrolled in an institution of post-secondary education. The Upward Bound target high schools are: Sam Houston High School, Jack Yates High School, Northside High School (Formerly Jeff Davis), and Stephen F. Austin High School.
The program has two components, an academic year component and a summer component. During the fall and spring semesters, the program provides supplemental academic classes and cultural enrichment activities on Saturdays from 8:00a.m. through 4:00p.m. The summer component focuses on academic skills and comprehensive test preparation for six-weeks, Monday through Friday, from 8:00a.m. through 4:00p.m.
The Upward Bound counselors serve as role models and mentors to our students. They have established a very close working relationship with community agencies, target high school principals and personnel. They also work with parents through home visits and parent meetings.
Upward Bound Services
- Academic classes in basic skills (Reading, Math, English/Writing, Study Skills, Science, Life Skills)
- Tutoring in areas where assistance is needed
- Career development activities and career exploration
- Participation in cultural enrichment activities
- Individualized assessment, educational planning
- A school bus service will be provided to and from your home school
- College credit courses for seniors during the summer component
- Community resource referral services
Who is Eligible?
Students in the target area high schools are eligible for Upward Bound if they:
- Have high potential for college study, and/or are first generation college students
- Enrolled in 9th or 10th grades in the Fall
- Meet income guidelines
- Need academic support to prepare for college
- Need financial aid for college expense
- Need cultural support services to develop their potential
Daniel Garcia, Director
Monique Howard, Assistant Director
Northside High School
Yates High School
Juan Perez, Advisor
Sam Houston High School
Austin High School
Teresa Alvarado, Administrative Assistant
Alicia Alvarado, Office Assistant
8:00a.m. to 5:00p.m.
Tuesday – Saturday during the academic year and
Monday – Friday during Summer component