About Ability Services
Ability Services at Central College provides disability support services for Central Campus, South Campus (Willie Lee Gay Hall), and Distance Education. The process for obtaining reasonable accommodations is an interactive one that begins with the student’s disclosure of his/her disability. The student has the responsibility of providing Ability Services with the appropriate documentation from a qualified Physician or Clinician who has diagnosed his/her disability. Students with disabilities should contact Ability Services directly. The contact must be made by the student and not a representative of the student, however parents/family are encouraged to participate in the process.
Students must be on file with our office in order to obtain services including, but not limited to:
- Placement testing with reasonable accommodations, if needed
- Reasonable classroom accommodations
- Interpreting or CART services
- Textbooks in an alternate format
- Assistive technology
- E Z Access Computer Lab: LHSB 102
- Referral to agencies such as the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS), Mental Health mental Retardation Agency of Harris County (MHMRA), etc.
Walk-In Hours: Tuesday: 9:00AM – 11:00AM
Wednesday: 1:00PM – 3:00PM
Services Provided during Walk-In Hours are Limited to:
- Returning Students: Academic Counseling
- Returning Students: Accommodation Letter (Already on File at Central College)
- Classroom Accommodation Concerns Policy
Walk-ins are only seen during walk-in designated times. Walk-ins are on a first-come first-serve basis and are over at the designated time whether or not the last student has been seen.
Assistive Technology (AT)
The following assistive technology is available for use at any Houston Community College. The list is in two sections, software and hardware. To locate assistive technology on campus, contact the Disability Support Services office at your campus.
- Dragon Naturally Speaking
- JAWS® for Windows®
- WYNN Wizard
- WYNN Reader
- Kurzweil 3000
- ZoomText Magnifier/Reader
- MAGic Screen Magnification Software
- Closed-Circuit Television (CCTV)
Interpreter/Transcription Service Request Form
Please complete online form: